There are all kinds of recipes on Pinterest for Puppy Chow. It’s basically Chex cereal, chocolate, peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar. If you haven’t had it you’re missing out!
I decided to make a Patriotic Puppy Chow. It was just a couple of extra easy steps.
Around the 4th of July M&M’s makes a special red, white and blue pack in plain and peanut flavors. If you’re lucky enough to find them they work perfect for this recipe.
I was not able to find them this year so I just bought family size bags of plain and peanut M&M’s, then pulled out the red and blue ones. Since the Chex are covered in powdered sugar it adds the white to the red, white and blue theme I was going for.
I also bought red, white and blue sprinkles to give it some color.
This recipe is easy to make which means it’s fun to have the kids help! My 12 year old daughter was by my side for the entire recipe. In fact, she took all of the cooking pictures.
You can use any type of Chex cereal that you want. I used Rice Chex since that is what I had. You need 9 cups. Poor them into a large mixing bowl.
In a medium saucepan melt 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup peanut butter. Make sure to stir it often.
Turn off the heat once it’s completely melted and add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Then you drizzle the chocolate mixture over the Chex cereal and gently stir.
Once the Chex is coated in the chocolate mixture I added 1/2 of the cereal to a large zip up bag, and added 3/4 cup powdered sugar. Zip it up, then gently move the cereal around so it all gets coated in powdered sugar.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and add the Chex. Add the second half of the Chex cereal to the zip up bag. Pour 3/4 cup powdered sugar into the bag and coat the cereal. Add to the cookie sheet.
Let the cereal dry for about 1 hour. I added 2 cups of red and blue M&M’s and some patriotic sprinkles. I didn’t measure the sprinkles, I just added enough for some red, white and blue color. It turned out so cute!
Patriotic Puppy Chow
- 9 cups Chex cereal (I used Rice Chex)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups red, white and blue M&M’s, pain and peanut
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Pour 9 cups of Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium saucepan melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter, stirring often.
- Once it’s completely melted remove from heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Drizzle onto the cereal and carefully stir.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add 1/2 of the Chex mixture to a zip up bag with 3/4 cup powdered sugar. Carefully toss around in the zip up bag until all of the cereal is coated in powdered sugar then add it to the baking sheet.
- Repeat with the second 1/2 of the the cereal and powdered sugar. Poor onto the baking sheet and let it dry for about 1 hour.
- Stir in the M&M’s and red, white and blue sprinkles.